Estonian passports and ID cards

Did you know?

  • You can apply for a new ID card by POST
  • You can also apply for a new passport by POST or E-MAIL directly from the Estonian Police and Boarder Guard Board if less than 5 years have passed since taking of fingerprints and applying for the previous passport
  • Passports for children under 12 years of age can also be renewed by POST or E-MAIL as fingerprints will not taken from children under 12 years.

On what occasions do I have to book an appointment and come to the Embassy to apply for documents?

  • Your old passport is expired (you need to get your fingerprints taken at the Embassy).
  • You wish that someone else picks up your passport / ID card on your behalf. A written consent/proxy can only be given at the Embassy.

Estonian passport / ID-card for an adult

  • Standard application form
  • Please send your digital photo (size 4×5 cm, JPEG, 500 kb, 650X800) to Add your name and date of birth in to the email.   For further information please visit: Police- and Border Guard Board website. It is not possible to take photos at the Embassy.
  • In case of a change of name: a copy of your spouse’s passport and your Marriage Certificate or another official document proving the legality of your new name must be submitted.

Estonian passport / ID card for a child

  • When applying for the first time you will need to include the child’s birth certificate original if data also in English, otherwise officially translated into English and certified with apostille.
  • Fill in standard application form
  • Fill in first passport application form
  • Copies of both parents’ passports
  • You will also need to enclose other parent’s written consent if latter is not Estonian citizen.

Children under 12 years do not have to come to the embassy in person, one of the parents can submit the application on behalf of the child.

When your child has reached 12 years of age, he or she has to come to the embassy personally to give fingerprints for the passport.

Please book an appointment to Consul over the phone  (+30)  210 74 75 660.

State fees

Passport 90 euros
ID card 75 euros
Passport + ID card 100 euros
Passport for a minor (under 15 years of age) or a pensioner 40 euros
ID card for a minor (under 15 years of age) or a pensioner 30 euros
Passport + ID card for a minor (under 15 years of age) or a pensioner 45 euros

On spot we accept payments only in cash.

When applying for the first ever Estonian passport for an adult you will need documents proving that an applicant is an Estonian citizen.

If you have acquired Estonian citizenship by birth:

  • an original of a document proving that you are an Estonian citizen;
  • an original of a document indicating that at least one of your parents is an Estonian citizen, and verification documents to prove that you are descended from a parent who is an Estonian citizen.

If you have acquired Estonian citizenship by naturalization:

  • a certificate of citizenship.

Documents referring to Estonian citizenship for the period from 1918 to 1940 can be obtained from:

  • Registers of Births, Deaths and Marriages (birth certificates, certificates of marriage and divorce, certificates on changing names, etc.);
  • the National Archives (certificates of Defence Forces, option certificates, school- leaving certificates, documents verifying the possession of real estate or working in the public service, etc.).