An emergency situation has been declared in Estonia due to the pandemic spread of the coronavirus in the world.

From 17 March there will be a temporary restriction on entry to Estonia for foreign nationals who do not hold an Estonian residence permit or right of residence, or have family members in Estonia. Foreigners are allowed to transit Estonia on the way to their home country if they do not show symptoms of COVID-19. At the border control travel documents and medical symptoms will be checked.There are no restrictions on exiting the country.

We care about your and everyone’s health. For this reason and in order to stop the spread of the coronavirus and flu, we kindly ask you to seriously consider whether coming to the representation is essential, and refrain from doing so if you are not feeling well, suspect that you or a family member has become infected, or you or a family member has been in an area of the coronavirus epidemic in the past 14 days. Thank you for your understanding!

In addition to previous measures, restrictions on movement are in force in Estonia from 14 March in line with the emergency situation.

On 17 March 2020, applications for Schengen visas and long-stay visas to Estonia can no longer be submitted at representations and visa centres of external service providers. This also applies to Schengen visa applications that are processed by Estonia on behalf of another member state.

Further information

Personal Details Updates and Family Records Certificates

Personal Details Updates

Every Estonian national and documented stateless person with an Estonian alien Passport has the obligation to update his/her data in the Estonian Population Register. If you live in Greece more than 90 days, you have the obligation to update your place of residence with your address in Greece. In order to do so, please fill out the application form and send it digitally signed or scanned by email to or by post. It is also possible to update your address online in case you have a valid ID-card, pin-codes and ID-card reader.

You are not obliged to change your Estonian home address, but to add an postal or contact address of your temporary stay, in case you are staying in Greece temporarily for the purpose of study, seasonal work or similar occation.

Did you give birth, got married, divorced or changed your name in Greece?

If you gave birth, got married, divorced or changed your name in Greece, you need to provide our Embassy with this information. An original document (e.g. original birth certificate if in English, otherwise translated and certified copy) should be presented to our Embassy (Messogion Ave. 2-4 Athens Tower, 23rd floor, GR-115 27 Athens, Greece) together with a copy of your passport or ID-card (and a copy of your spouse’s passport in case of marriage). The original document will be returned to you within a couple of weeks after your data in the Estonian Population Register has been updated.

Marriage in Greece

For the purpose of marriage registration in Greece, please check with the local authority where you are planning the act (registry office, church, City government etc) which documents are required. You might be asked to prove that there are no obstacles by Estonian law for you to get married. The document is called a Certificate of No Impediment. Estonian citizens who have registered their place of residency to Greece can apply for the certificate from the Embassy by post. Please fill out the following application form (PDF) and send it to us together with a copy of your and your future spouse’s passport or ID-card and copy of the paid state fee transaction statement. According to the Estonian regulations the certificate is valied within 3 months from its date of issuance. In case you are required to submit your Estonian birth certificate or ohter relevant documents, you can apply these in English from the Embassy.

After getting married in Greece (Cyprus or Albania) you need to provide your original marriage certificate if in English, otherwise officially translated and certified by apostille, together with your and your spouse’s copy of Passport, either to our Embassy or Estonian Family Registry Office, so that your marital status and possible new surname in the Estonian Population Registry can be updated.

Change of Name

Through marriage process in Greece, a spouse has the right to keep the old surname or take the spouse’s surname within 1 year after the marriage. You can apply for a new passport/ID-card with your spouse’s surname by submitting the original marriage certificate if in English, otherwise officially translated and certified by apostille and a copy of your spouse’s passport/ID-card when coming to apply for the new documents.

An Estonian citizen can also apply for a change or modified transcription of a first name or both, only in Estonia at the Family Registry Office or Vital Statistics Office in Tallinn.

Family Records Certificates

A Family Records Certificate (about a birth, death, marriage, divorce or change of name) can be issued to the person him/herself or to one’s guardian. Estonian citizens who have registered their place of residency to Greece can apply for the required certificate from the Embassy, either by post or in person. In order to do so, please fill out the following application form, reserve the time for meeting Consul, or send the documents to Embassy together with a copy of your passport or ID-card and a copy of paid state fee transaction.